Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Shortened Path to Happiness (draft)

This one has been floating around in my head for a few months, and I finally got to write it down last night. I think it still could do with a little work, so this is really a draft.

THE SHORTENED PATH TO HAPPINESS (5 November, 2008)

My heart is broken for my love has left
The days are long - I am cold and alone ...
... and the prophets whisper to me (consume)
Buy some icecream!
It's scientifically proven,
Genetically tested
and comes with a Dr. Morris genuine smile guarantee!

My dog has heightened anxiety disorder
and I think he needs a new tennis ball ...
... the prophets grin and clap and say to me (consume)
You also need a brush, tidy bags and plate,
A special heat pad for his poor arthritic knee
If you do not buy these things WATCH OUT!
For you will be a Bad Pet Owner - the scorn of all.

I know I need a pair of green socks, but why?
I know I need scented writing paper, but why?
...the prophets are getting angry now (CONSUME)
The green socks are in case your brown socks are dirty
The writing paper is so people will like you
You are rather boring otherwise you know
There, someone had to say it.

But why do I need another coffee table book?
Why must I buy that special edition computer game?
(SHUT UP! SHUT UP! CONSUME!)
You do not make these decisions for yourself!
You are not capable!
Just shut up and be good and don't question!
Give up! Consume.

(c) Lillian Martin

No comments: